Cocaine is one of the most widely abused drugs in the country. This drug is known to have an adverse effect on an individual’s brain and in some cases, all it takes is one hit to get addicted. This is because cocaine works on the dopamine pathways in the brain, over-flooding them with dopamine which produces the high that the drug is famous for.
Unfortunately, over time, the body develops tolerance forcing the user to keep increasing their dosage to get high. This eventually leads to addiction and a host of other negative effects on the body including strokes and brain damage.
Many of those addicted to cocaine also experience some level of personality change and you may find yourself behaving in ways you’d never considered before.
Personality Changes Due to Cocaine Abuse
Personality changes that occur due to cocaine abuse happen due to the physical and psychological effects induced by the drug.
Some of these include:
- Emotional volatility. Close friends and loved ones may notice that your moods become more erratic, thanks to cocaine use causing you to go from being euphoric, happy, and chatty when high to irritable, paranoid, and hostile when you crash. If you used to be warm and caring, your loved ones may notice that you’ve become more self-centered, cruel and even mean over time.
- Increased secrecy and isolation. Since cocaine use is illegal, you may make an extra effort to hide your habit going so far as to lie and cheat to cover your addiction. This can cause suspicion and mistrust if you’re in a relationship.
- Paranoia, depression, and anxiety. Going through withdrawal or crashing from cocaine use can worsen mental health issues, leading to depression, anxiety, and paranoid feelings or behavior.
- Lack of interest in activities. As addiction takes hold, getting high becomes all you care about, leading you to lose interest in things you used to previously enjoy. Your loved ones may notice that you no longer care about your hobbies, your job, and maybe even your health and hygiene.
- Criminal behavior. Cocaine is an expensive drug and feeding your addiction may lead to financial strain. This may cause you to resort to stealing from your loved ones, selling household goods, or worse, all to raise money to buy the drug.
Get Help Before It’s Too Late
You don’t have to wait until cocaine abuse changes your personality. We at Evolve Indy in Indiana can help you break the hold that cocaine has on your life.
We have a range of addiction treatment programs designed to help those struggling with cocaine or other substance use disorders to regain control of their lives. These range from partial hospitalization programs to intensive outpatient and outpatient programs, all designed to suit different levels of addiction. We also provide a family therapy program to help rebuild families that have been devastated by drug abuse.
Reach out to us today and take the first step towards reclaiming your life.