Alcoholism is a common addiction in America, affecting hundreds of people. If you, or a loved one, are struggling with alcoholism, you need to know that help is available. Treatment for alcohol addiction mainly involves safely guiding the recovering user through medical detox. This is then followed by counseling to uncover and deal with the underlying reasons for the addiction.
There are different alcohol treatment programs and it can be overwhelming to choose one that suits your needs. While you certainly need to check the testimonials, recommendations, and what others are saying about an alcohol treatment program beforehand, there are other factors to consider.
The type of alcohol treatment that’s suitable for you.
- Alcoholic treatment and rehab in Indiana are available in two main formats –inpatient and outpatient.
- Inpatient Rehab for alcoholism – Also known as residential rehab treatment, this is a popular treatment format with a high success rate. Inpatient rehab allows patients to receive round-the-clock individualized care where they are completely immersed in the program. Patients live on-site at a treatment center and are expected to keep strict schedules with limited access to the outside world. This is suitable for those who want to completely focus on their recovery without distractions from school, work, or social obligations.
- Outpatient Rehab – This format is suitable for those with prior commitments e.g. family or work. They attend alcoholism treatment according to a set schedule and then go back to their lives. It works best for those with a strong support network at home but it isn’t recommended for people with severe alcoholism.
Selecting other treatment services and amenities
- After choosing a treatment format that works for you, you can move on to the treatment services and amenities. Several alcoholism treatment programs also offer other services to complement treatment e.g. wellness activities like meditation or amenities like fitness areas. Taking part in these activities allows you to discover new hobbies and even make new friends.
The types of therapy used in the alcoholism treatment program
- Alcohol treatment programs use different types of therapy to cover various aspects of addiction.
- Individual Therapy. Recovering alcoholics have one-on-one counseling sessions with a therapist. This gives them a safe space to discuss what’s on their mind and is an effective way of helping them uncover triggers and underlying causes of their alcoholism.
- Group Therapy. Here you’ll get to interact with others going through the same situation as you. It allows you to share experiences and draw strength and support from each other.
- Community-Based Groups. Some rehabs also incorporate external support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous. These offer valuable ongoing support for recovering alcoholics especially after going through a rehab program. Socializing with others recovering from alcohol addiction provides a means of accountability and motivation.
Whether you’re wondering what kind of alcoholism treatment you need or just looking for the best options for your needs, Evolve Indy is here to help.