Accepting that you have a problem with addiction –whether to alcohol or drugs- is the first step towards recovery. The next step is figuring out which addiction treatment center to go to. After all, the rehab you choose will have a major role to play in your recovery. You have to ensure that you choose one that meets your needs.
As a Michigan resident, you have a couple of options when it comes to rehab. You can decide to either stay local or travel to another state. The good news is that you don’t have to seek treatment from a faraway state. Neighboring Indiana has some great options for drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation such as the Evolve Indy addiction treatment center.
Which decision suits you depends on your unique individual needs and circumstances. Keep in mind that each addiction treatment center is unique in terms of the living environment provided, the treatment programs offered as well as the types of addiction they treat. This makes figuring out an ideal rehab challenging, but not impossible.
When making your decision, you also need to take into account your budget and financial situation, your insurance coverage, and your personal lifestyle. Maybe traveling for rehab wouldn’t work for you because you have younger kids or you prefer staying close to your friends and family for support. Alternatively, you might prefer receiving treatment in another state so that you can escape your current toxic environment.
To help you decide, here are the pros and cons of traveling to Indiana for rehab vs. staying local.
Pros of Traveling to Indiana for Rehab
- The new environment can inspire change. Traveling to Indiana can give you and your family the time and space needed to start healing from the devastating effects of addiction. Additionally, a new location comes with the promise of a new beginning and this can go a long way towards helping you start anew.
- Traveling takes you away from toxic influences. Putting some distance between you and old temptations and triggers is a good idea if you want to beat addiction. This way, you won’t be exposed to friends who are still using or the situational stressors that triggered you to use e.g. work or family.
- It makes it easier to stick to your recovery program. Receiving addiction treatment far from home increases your chances of sticking with and completing the treatment program since you can’t just get up and walk away when things get tough.
- Traveling can help preserve your privacy. You shouldn’t be ashamed of going to rehab but unfortunately, there’s some stigma attached to it. By traveling to Indiana, you reduce the chance of running into someone you know at rehab, being judged and looked at differently, or even facing professional consequences. It preserves your anonymity, allowing you to concentrate on your treatment.
- The beautiful setting gives you peace of mind. The environment at Evolve Indy in Indiana is serene and relaxing, making it easier for our patients to meditate and recover without distractions.
Cons of Traveling for Rehab
- It takes you away from your support system. If you have a caring and close-knit group of friends and family who you rely on for support as you recover, then traveling for rehab might not be ideal for you. However, here at Evolve Indy, we have ways for you to stay in touch with your family and have them participate in family therapy sessions e.g. through Zoom or Skype.
- It might be difficult to create an aftercare program for you. Aftercare is a crucial part of the recovery process especially once you’ve been discharged from an Intensive Outpatient Program or a Partial Hospitalization Program. A local treatment center may be more knowledgeable on the resources and groups in your hometown and be better placed to create an aftercare program for you.
Pros of Staying in Michigan for Rehab
- It’s cheaper than traveling. Deciding to stay in Michigan for addiction treatment means that you won’t incur costs that come with paying for air transport, accommodation, etc.
- You get to remain close to your loved ones. Furthermore, if you chose not to travel for treatment, you benefit from having a supportive network of family and friends around you as you recover.
- It’s easier to get an aftercare plan. A local rehab center will be familiar with your hometown and the addiction treatment resources available making it easier for them to connect you with local support groups to help you on your recovery journey.
Cons of Staying at Michigan for Rehab.
- Your family and friends can distract you. While having your family and friends nearby might be a good thing, it may also work against you. Your loved ones may distract you from your treatment and they might also play a part in enabling your addiction.
- You might run into people you know at rehab. Another disadvantage of staying local is meeting people you know at rehab. Not only can this be embarrassing, but it may also affect how you participate in some of the treatment programs e.g. group therapy.
- It can be easier to quit. Being close to home and your environmental triggers may make it easier for you to give in to temptation and relapse. It also increases the chances of defaulting treatment if you find things difficult or too challenging.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both traveling to Indiana for rehab and choosing to stay in Michigan for treatment. Your decision will ultimately depend on several personal factors. While considering your options, remember that not one rehab facility is right for everyone and you need to do your research and choose the program that best suits your own unique treatment needs.
We at Evolve Indy are ready to help you make a decision that will help you get, and remain, clean and sober. For more information on our addiction treatment and rehabilitation programs or our drug and alcohol addiction treatment center in Indiana, contact us on 317-648-2887.